Blogging is a hobby as well as medium of earnings which requires a lot of dedication and patience. If you are serious about your blogging business, then you need to put a lot of effort into it. Blogging is not a get rich quick scheme. The success of your blog solely depends on your planning and strategy.
How to Start Blogging
So how to start blogging for the first time? Before starting a new blog you need to have a roadmap of your own. You need to define your niche, brainstorm the categories, plan your marketing techniques and finally start your journey. If you are new to blogging then you might like my earlier post on advantage and disadvantage of blogging.
Here is a quick step by step overview on how to start blogging.
1. Define the niche you wish to write for. Choose a niche on which you really have some expertise and love to write for.
2. Brainstorm and write a list of the categories on your selected niche. Each categories must be constructive and must not to be very similar to other category.
3. Figure out how many posts you can actually write under each categories. Say if you listed 10 categories to write for and can write 500 unique articles on each categories, then in total you can write 5,000 posts. Again if you write 2 articles a day on an average, then you can continue writing for the next 7 years!
4. After you have done the primary homework, now it’s time to register your domain. Always try to register your domain from reputed registrar like Godaddy and Namecheap.
Here is a short but important tips – if you like to register an aged domains, then you can find one on Godaddy auction. This doesn’t guarantee that you will always get a good one but sometimes this is worthy trying! As search engines also give more weight to aged domains, so…
5. Always choose a reliable hosting for your domains as you will feel secured from malware and get timely update and support. I personally like and using Hostgator. However if sooner or later you get noticed that you have got malware attack, then you can try a reliable source like Sucuri (aff link) who will do the heavy lifting of removing malware in favor of you.
Almost for all starter blogs a shared hosting should be fine to start with. If you require more resources later, you can upgrade to vps or dedicated hosting.
6. After you have registered a domain and hosting, its time to design your website. WordPress is the best blogging platform covering the major percentage of blogging sites.
7. After installing WordPress, it’s time to install a theme for your site. There are many free themes around which you can use for your blog or if you are serious about your blogging business then you wouldn’t mind to spend few bucks to purchase a premium theme like Thesis, Genesis etc.
You can design your blog easily with WordPress or can hire someone to do the same for you.
8. Next you need to install the essential plugins for your site. If you are not sure which plugins to install, you can read the list of 12 essential plugins or if you like to go further, here is another list of 51 Top WordPress plugins for your blog.
10. Now its time to write and publish your first blog post. Be constructive and creative while writing your first post and you need to continue it whenever you write for your blog. If you really write well and can create authority, will find loyal visitors growing from time to time who will visit the blog frequently to read your posts.
If you want to know more details on how to start blogging, then you might like to read my complete blogging tutorial below:
If you like this post, please do share!